Adaptive Library Environment to Support Disabled Persons: Services and StrategiesAuthor : Bhalachandra S. Deshpande and C. Sajana
Volume 10 No.2 July-December 2020 pp 1-6
The World Health Organization (WHO) found that 650mn of the world’s population have some type of disability. As per UNESCAP-United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, more than 400 million disabled people live in Asia, and most of them are not included in the various public activities. But, libraries as an integral part of our society, has to adopt adequate technology and services to cater the needs of disabled persons, such that they are provided with equal opportunities to avail library services. The present paper is a brief study about the possible methods that can be adopted in library environment to provide effective services to patrons with disability.
Library services, Disability, Disabled persons, Equipment technology, Library environment, Library layout, Library policies
- Ragsdale, K. W. (1991). Library services for persons with disabilities. Association of Research Libraries. Systems and Procedures Exchange Center (SPEC) kit 176.
- National Policy For Persons with Disabilities, 2006. (2020). Retrieved 9 July 2020, from https://vikaspedia.in/social-welfare/differently-abled-welfare/policies-and-standards/national-policy-for-persons-with-disabilities-2006#:~:text=The%20National%20Policy%20recognizes%20that,and%20full%20participation%20in%20society.
- Disabilities: Definition, Types and Models of Disability. (2020). Retrieved 9 July 2020, from https://www.disabled-world.com/disability/types/
- Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010. (2010). Retrieved 9 July 2020, from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/ DisabledPeople/RightsAndObligations/DisabilityRights/DG_4001069
- Disability resources. 2010. Retrieved from http://www.usq.edu.au/studentservices/disabilityresources/academicstaff/typedis
- ICT accessibility for persons with disabilities in Indonesia. (2009). In second regional workshop on the enhancement of ICT accessibility for Persons with Disabilities (PWD’s). Incheon. Retrieved from http://www.unescap.org/ESID/ Meetings/ICT09/Indo_P.pdf
- Self propelled standing frames. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/children/self_propelled-standing-frames-2815-p/
- McDermott, Norma & Crowley, Niall. Library access. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.librarycouncil.ie/ policies/ Library%20Access.pdf
- Disability Services. (2010). Retrieved from http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/services/disability.shtml