Assessment of Knowledge Sharing Patterns among University and Polytechnic Students in Imo StateAuthor : Faustina Chioma Haco-Obasi and Nneka Chinemerem Agim
Volume 10 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 31-40
Knowledge sharing is the sharing of information with the sole aim of enlightening the target recipient (s) through meaningful exchanges that would produce needed results. Knowledge sharing has become a daily activity among students as they engage in daily face to face and mediated interactions where they collaborate and share ideas, understanding, information, skills and expertise with peers and instructors. It is against this phenomenon that this study sprouted. The study is a comparative investigation of knowledge-sharing patterns among students at Federal University of Technology, Owerri and Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri. The method of research adopted is descriptive and comprised registered undergraduates of both institutions’ libraries as a stratum. A questionnaire was designed and administered to 600 students, 300 from each institution and 290 and 287 retrieved in a usable state from FUTO and FPNO respectively, representing 96% return rate. The findings show an existence of knowledge sharing practice in both institutions and a similarity in the kind of knowledge usually shared. Pattern of sharing knowledge is different and peculiar to the nature of each institution. Whilst FUTO students share knowledge through group assignments, whatsapp and interactive sessions, FPNO students share through tutorial classes, reading groups and group assignments. The study revealed the hindrances to knowledge sharing in each institution and students’ suggestions of facilitating the practice for improved learning. Though hindrances to knowledge sharing revealed in the study may be considered peculiar to the institutions covered, they albeit represent relevant ideas which management of any institution can manipulate to enhance knowledge sharing in their institutions.
Knowledge-sharing, knowledge-sharing patterns, students, university, polytechnic.
- Adamseged, H. Y. & Hong, J.J. (2018). Knowledge sharing among university Faculty members. Journal of Education and Practice 9(24) 2018.
- Abouzeedan, A., & Hedner, T. (2012). Organisation structure theories and open innovation paradigm. World Journal of Science, Technology and Sustainable Development, 9(1), 6-27.
- Arogundade, B.B., Atanda, A. I. & Ekere, S. C. O. (2008). Classroom management in education In Babalola, J. B. & Ayeni, A. O. (eds.) Educational management: Theories and tasks. Lagos: Macmillan Nigeria Publishers Limited
- Bimol, S., Saikia, M., Sashikumar, L., & Devi, L. (2017). Cloud Computing: A new generation of IT infrastructure for Knowledge Management. International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, 43(7), 388-392.
- Chin Wei, C., Siong Choy, C., Geok Chew, G., & Yee Yen, Y. (2012). Knowledge sharing patterns of undergraduate students. Library Review, 61(5), 327-344.
- Chugh, R. (2013). Workplace dimensions: tacit knowledge sharing in universities. Journal of Advanced Management Science, 1(1), 24-28.
- Conboy, K., & Morgan, L. (2011). Beyond the customer: Opening the agile systems development process. Information and Software Technology, 53(5), 535-542.
- Desouza, K., & Paquette, S. (2011). An introduction to knowledge management. Knowledge management: An introduction, 3-34.
- Dunu, I. V., & Uzochukwu, C. E. (2015). Social Media: An effective tool for social mobilisation in Nigeria. IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) 20, 10-21.
- Essien, J. E. (1975). Education and the challenge of quality: Benin City: Ethiopia Publishing Corporation
- Igbinovia, M. O., & Ikenwe, I. J. (2017). Knowledge management: processes and systems. Information Impact: Journal of Information and Knowledge Management, 8(3), 26-38.
- Ikenwe, I. J., & Igbinovia, M. O. (2015). Influence of knowledge sharing in reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS among adolescents in rural areas in Delta State, Nigeria. Kuwait Chapter of Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review, 33(2587), 1-14.
- Jer Yuen, T., & Shaheen Majid, M. (2007). Knowledge-sharing patterns of undergraduate students in Singapore. Library Review, 56(6), 485-494.
- Kokavcova, D., & Mala, D. (2009). Knowledge sharing–the main prerequisite of innovation. Organizacijų vadyba: sisteminiai tyrimai, 2009, nr. 51, 47-56.
- Kumaravel, V., & Vikkraman, P. (2018). Assessment of Knowledge Management Practices in Higher Educational Institutions in India: A Structural Equation Modeling Approach. International Journal of Educational Sciences, 20(1-3), 120-136.
- Lin, X., Featherman, M., & Sarker, S. (2013). Information sharing in the context of social media: an application of the theory of reasoned action and social capital theory. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 2013 AIS SIGHCI Workshop on HCI Research in MIS.
- Maiga, Z. B. (2017). Knowledge sharing among academics in selected universities in Tanzania.
- Majid, S., & Wey, S. M. (2009). Perceptions and knowledge sharing practices of graduate students in Singapore. International Journal of Knowledge Management (IJKM), 5(2), 21-32.
- Nassuora, A. B. (2011). Knowledge sharing in institutions of higher learning. American Academic & Scholarly Research Journal, 1(1), 29-34.
- Nwanna, E. O. C (2008). University academics in Nigeria: Memoirs of an insider. Lagos: Peacewise
- Ogbodo, C. M., Efanga, S. I., & Ikpe, U. G. (2013). Knowledge Production in Higher Education: Policies and Practices in Nigeria. International Education Studies, 6(12), 9-14.
- Ojo, A. I. (2016). Knowledge management in Nigerian universities: a conceptual model. Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management, 11, 331-345.
- Okolie-Osemene, J. (2017). Facilitating Knowledge Sharing on Social Media for Students of International Relations and Conflict Studies in Nigeria Harnessing Social Media as a Knowledge Management Tool (74-87): IGI Global.
- Ong, H.-B., Yeap, P.-F., Tan, S.-H., & Chong, L.-L. (2011). Factors influencing knowledge sharing among undergraduate students: A Malaysian perspective. Industry and Higher Education, 25(2), 133-140.
- Osakpa D.U., Okonkwo D.A.R., and Ejiogu, S.I. (2018). Teaching effectiveness of lecturers with polytechnic or university basis business education in Nigeria. African Research Review 12(1)
- Pook, A. S. Y., Chong, C. W., & Yuen, Y. Y. (2017). Effectiveness of cross-border knowledge transfer in Malaysian MSC status corporations. Knowledge Management & E-Learning: An International Journal, 9(1), 90-110.
- Sadiq Sohail, M., & Daud, S. (2009). Knowledge sharing in higher education institutions: Perspectives from Malaysia. Vine, 39(2), 125-142.
- Singh, M., & Kant, R. (2008). Knowledge management barriers: An interpretive structural modelling approach. International Journal of Management Science and Engineering Management, 3(2), 141-150.
- Sulaiman, N., & Burke, M. (2011). Global perspectives on knowledge sharing: investigating Malaysian online community behaviour. Paper presented at the 11th International Conference on Knowledge Culture and Change In Organisations.
- Usman, S. H., & Oyefolahan, I. O. (2014). Encouraging knowledge sharing using Web 2.0 technologies in higher education: a survey. arXiv preprint arXiv:1406.7437.
- Vlasov, M., & Panikarova, S. (2015). Knowledge creation in state-owned enterprises. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 6(4), 475.
- Wai Ling, C., Sandhu, M. S., & Kishore Jain, K. (2009). Knowledge sharing in an American multinational company based in Malaysia. Journal of Workplace Learning, 21(2), 125-142.
- Yaghi, K., Barakat, S., Alfawaer, Z. M., Shkokani, M., & Nassuora, A. (2011). Knowledge sharing degree among the undergraduate students: a case study at applied science private university. International Journal of Academic Research, 3(1), 20-24.
- Yang, J.-T. (2007). Knowledge sharing: Investigating appropriate leadership roles and collaborative culture. Tourism Management, 28(2), 530-543.
- Yang, X. (2008). Improving teachers’ knowledge management with blog platform. Paper presented at the 2008 International Workshop on Education Technology and Training & 2008 International Workshop on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- Yasmeen, S., Alam, M. T., Mushtaq, M., & Alam Bukhari, M. (2015). Comparative study of the availability and use of information technology in the subject of education in public and private universities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi. SAGE Open, 5(4), 2158244015608228.
- Zakaria, N., Zolkafli, U. K., Kamaruzzaman, S. N., & Rahman, A. (2013). Knowledge sharing among undergraduate students.
- Zhang, J., Liu, Y., & Xiao, Y. (2008). Internet knowledge-sharing system based on object-oriented. Paper presented at the 2008 Second International Symposium on Intelligent Information Technology Application.
- Zwalchir, L. & Bueuyen,H. N. (2008). Workload management in the school system In Babalola, J. B. & Ayeni, A. O. (eds.) Educational management: Theories and tasks. Lagos: Macmillan Nigeria Publishers Limited.