Asian Journal of Science and Applied Technology (AJSAT)
Chemical Synthesis of Cobalt Nanoparticles and Determination of its Minimal Inhibitory Concentrations and Minimal Bactericidal Concentrations against S. aureus and E. coliAuthor : Vijayta Gupta, Monika Bhardbaj, Annuradha Gupta, Pawan K Verma and Vinay Kant
Volume 9 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 14-17
The indiscriminate usage of antibiotics in the past few years is one of the main reasons behind increased incidences of antimicrobial resistance. The development of potent antibacterial agents to combat this problem is the need of present era. In view of this, in present study, cobalt (Co) nanoparticles were chemically synthesized by standard method. The synthesized Co nanoparticles were tested against the S. aureus and E. coli bacterial strains, and the minimal inhibitory concentrations (MIC) and minimal bactericidal concentrations (MBC) values of Co nanoparticles were determined against these bacterial strains on the day of Co nanoparticles synthesis and after their storage for 30 and 60 days. The Co nanoparticles showed antibacterial actions against S. aureus and E. coli bacterial strains. The MIC values of fresh chemically synthesized Co nanoparticles in this study for S. aureus and E. coli were 140.0 μg/ml and 100.0 μg/ml, respectively. The MBC values of these nanoparticles for S. aureus and E. coli were 260.0 μg/ml and 220.0 μg/ml, respectively. The MIC and MBC values of Co nanoparticles increased on storage of its suspensions for 30 as well as 60 days. It might be considered as potent antibacterial candidate in future after some additional investigations.
Cobalt nanoparticles, MIC, MBC, S. aureus, E. coli
- K. Henderson, “Managing methicillin-resistant staphylococci: a paradigm for preventing no socomial transmission of resistant organisms”, American Journal of Infection Control, Vol. 34, pp. S46–S54, S64–S73, 2006.
- Sugden, R. Kelly, and S. Davies, “Combatting antimicrobial resistance globally”, Nature Microbiology, Vol. 1, pp. 16187, 2016.
- O’Neill, “Antimicrobial Resistance: Tackling a Crisis for the Health and Wealth of Nations”, Review on Antimicrobial Resistance, 2014; https://amrreview.org/
- S. Siddiqi, A. Rahman, Tajuddin, and A. Husen, “Properties of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles and Their Activity against Microbes”, Nanoscale Research Letters, Vol. 13, pp. 2-13, 2018.
- Peterson, and P. Kaur, “Antibiotic Resistance Mechanisms in Bacteria: Relationships between Resistance Determinants of Antibiotic Producers, Environmental Bacteria, and Clinical Pathogens”, Frontiers in Microbiology, Vol. 9, pp. 2-21, 2018.
- K. Ghosh, M. Mitra, A. Fathima, H. Yadav, A. R. Choudhury, B. U. Nair, and R. Ghosh, “Antibacterial and catecholase activities of Co (III) and Ni (II) Schiff base complexes”, Polyhedron, Vol. 107, pp. 1, 2016.
- D. Mjos, and C. Orvig, “Metallodrugs in medicinal inorganic chemistry”, Chemical Reviews, Vol. 114, No8, pp. 4540-4563, 2014.
- E. McNeil, “Nanotechnology for the biologist”, Journal of Leukocyte Biology, Vol. 78, pp. 585–594, 2005.
- Lanone, and J. Boczkowski, “Biomedical applications and potential health risks of nanomaterials: molecular mechanisms”, Current Molecular Medicine, Vol. 6, pp. 651–663, 2006.
- A. Groneberg, M. Giersig, T. Welte, and U. Pison, Nanoparticle-based diagnosis and therapy. Current Drug Targets, Vol. 7, pp. 643–648, 2006.
- Zhang, T. Lan, J. Wang, L. Wei, Z. Yang, and Y. Zhang, “Template-free Synthesis of One-dimensional Cobalt Nanostructures by Hydrazine Reduction Route”, Nanoscale Research Letters, Vol. 6, pp. 58, 2011.
- Gupta, V. Kant, A. K. Sharma, and M. Sharma, “Comparative assessment of antibacterial efficacy for cobalt nanoparticles, bulk cobalt and standard antibiotics: A concentration dependant study”, Nanosystems Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Vol. 11, No.1, pp. 78–85, 2020.
- Hoseinzadeh, P. Makhdoumi, P. Taha, H. Hossini, J. Stelling, M. A. Kamal, and G. M. Ashraf, “A review on nano-antimicrobials: Metal nanoparticles, methods and mechanisms”, Current Drug Metabolism, Vol. 18, No.2, pp. 120-128, 2017.
- Azam, A. S. Ahmed, M. Oves, M. S. Khan, S. S. Habib, and A. Memic, “Antimicrobial activity of metal oxide nanoparticles against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria: a comparative study”, International Journal of Nanomedicine, Vol. 7, pp.6003–6009, 2012.
- R. Morones, J. L. Elechiguerra, A. Camacho, K. Holt, J. B. Kouri, J. T. Ramirez, M. J. Yacaman, “The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles”, Nanotechnology, Vol. 16, No.10, pp. 2346–2353, 2005.
- Wahab, Y-S. Kim, A. Mishra, S-I. Yun, and H-S Shin, “Formation of ZnO micro-flowers prepared via solution process and their antibacterial activity”, Nanoscale Research Letters, Vol. 5, pp. 1675-1681, 2010.
- Ravikumar, R. Gokulakrishnan, and P. Boomi, “In vitro antibacterial activity of the metal oxide nanoparticles against urinary tract infectious bacterial pathogens”, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, Vol. 2, No.2, pp.85–89, 2012.
- Pellieux, A. Dewilde, C. Pierlot, and J-M. Aubry, “Bactericidal and virucidal activities of singlet oxygen generated by thermolys is of naphthalene endoperoxides”, Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 319, pp.197–207, 2000.
- Eddie, Chang, S. Christa, and D. Andrew Knight, “Cobalt Complexes as Antiviral and Antibacterial Agents”, Pharmaceuticals (Basel), Vol. 3, pp. 1711–1728, 2010.
- L. Kalyani, J. Venkatraju, P. Kollu, N. H. Rao, and S. V. N. Pammi, “Low temperature synthesis of various transition metal oxides and their antibacterial activity against multidrug resistance bacterial pathogens”, Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 32, No.5, pp. 911-6, 2015.
- S. Kim, E. Kuk, K. N. Yu, J. H. Kim, S. J. Park, H. J. Lee, S. H. Kim, Y. K. Park, Y.H. Park, C.Y. Hwang, Y. K. Kim, Y. S. Lee, D. H. Jeong, and M. H. Cho, “Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles”, Nanomedicine, Vol. 3, pp. 95–101, 2007.
- Sondi, and B. Salopek-Sondi, “Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 275, pp. 177–182, 2004.
- F. Deravi, J. D. Swartz, and D. W. Wright, “The biomimetic synthesis of metal oxide nanomaterials”, Wiley; 2010.
- Mu, J. Tang, Q. Liu, C. Sun, T. Wang, and J. Duan, “Potent antibacterial nanoparticles against biofilm and intracellular bacteria”, Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, pp. 18877, 2016.
- H-Z. Lai, W-Y. Chen, C-Y. Wu, and Y-C. Chen, “Potent antibacterial nanoparticles for athogenic bacteria”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 7, pp. 2046–54, 2015.