Asian Journal of Managerial Science (AJMS)
Human Resource Management Practices and Employee RetentionAuthor : Archana Yadav
Volume 9 No.1 January-June 2020 pp
The study aims to assess the predicting role of human resource management (HRM) practices in retaining employees in NTPC Ltd. The company has been successful not only in attracting the best talent in the market, but also in retaining them, according to NTPC’s annual reports from 2013 -17, attrition rate was between .93% to 1% of the Middle Executive. NTPC is a leader not only in the power industry, but also in the market due to its robust HRM practices. Training and development emerged as the most prominent HRM practice during the study, which is also considered the backbone of NTPC Ltd. The company maintains a dedicated Knowledge sharing centre located in Noida, known as the ‘Power Management Institute’ (PMI) which is a world-class learning centre, has collaborated with best institutes in the world and train employees at all levels from entry level to top executive level with ‘planned intervention ‘. Data was obtained from NTPC’s publications maintained in the form of annual reports and ‘Power Management Institute ’annual calendars for the previous five years. A survey was conducted across various plants of NTPC on Middle- Level Executive on human resource practices which are followed in NTPC. HRM practices examined in this study are Security, training and development, quality of work life, compensation, career advancement, Promotion, award and rewards, and work-life balance. Findings indicate that Training and Development and Compensation are the most significant human resource practices in retaining employees and Promotion is the least significant HRM Practice in retaining employees at NTPC Ltd.
Employee Retention, Human Resource Management Practices NTPC Ltd., Training and Development.
- Allen, D.,Shanock,L.(2013).Perceived Organizational support and embeddedness as key mechanisms connecting Socialization tactics to commitment and turnover among new employees :Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 34(3), DOI: 10.1002/job.1805.
- Chew, J. C. (2004). The Influence of Human Resource Management Practices on the Retention of Core Employees of Australian Organization: An Empirical Study. Perth: Murdoch University.
- Crossley, C. D., Bennett, R. J., Jex, S. M., &Burnfield, J. L. (2007). Development of a Global measure of Job Embeddedness and Integration into a Traditional model of voluntary turnover Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(4), 1031–1042.
- Das, B L., Baruah.M.S.(2013). Employee Retention: A Review of Literature. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 14(2) 08-16, www.iosrjournals.org. DOI:10.9790/487X-1420816
- M.N., Kahwaji.A.T., Elrasheed.M.O.(2017). Factors Affecting Staff Retention Strategies Used in Private Syrian Companies during the Crisis: International Review of management and Marketing. (2), 202-206.www.econjournals.com
- Imna, G.,Hassan,Z.(2015).Influence of Human Resource Management practices on Employee Retention in Maldives Retail Industry: International Journal of Accounting & Business Managementftms.edu.my/journals/index.php/journals/ijabm 3(1),April,2015ISSN:2289-4519DOI: 10.24924/ijabm/2015.04/v3.iss1/50.80
- M.F. (2019). The Effects of Person-Organization Fit and Employee Commitment. The Mediating Role of Organizational Culture. Archives of Business Research,7(10),121-131. DOI:10.14738/abr.710.7202.
- Kossivi, B., Kalgora.B., Xu,ming.(2016).study on Determining Factors of Employee Retention. Open Journal of Social Sciences,4(5), 261-268 04(05):261-268 DOI: 10.4236/jss.2016.45029
- D., Muathe.S., Nzulwa.R.(2013). European Journal of Business and Management, 5(12), www.iiste.org.
- Milkovich,G.M.,Newman., J.M. (2016). Study on determining factors of Employee Retention: Open Journal of Social Sciences, 4, 261-268. http://www.scirp.org/journal/jsshttp://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jss.2016.45029
- Munish & Agarwa,, R..(2017). A Review Literature. International Journal of BRIC Business Research IJBBR, 6(1).
- Ng, Eric., Hao,LZ., Hong,C . (2012). Effectiveness of Human Resource Management Practices on Employee Retention in Institute of Higher learning: – A Regression Analysis: International Journal of Business Research and Management (IJBRM),3(2)
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17).41st Annual Report NTPC Ltd: NTPC scope Complex, New Delhi, 45.
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17).41st Annual Report NTPC Ltd.: NTPC Scope Complex, New Delhi, 62.
- NTPC Ltd. (2016-17) .41st) Annual Report (2016-17) NTPC Ltd. Scope Complex Delhi, 79.
- NTPC Ltd. (2012-13) Power Management Institute Calendar 2016-17: NTPC Ltd. Scope Complex, New Delhi, 1-5..
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17.,41st Power Management Institute Calendar, NTPC Scope Complex, New Delhi, 12.
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17)41st. Power Management Institute Calendar, NTPC Scope Complex, New Delhi, 8.
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17).41st Power Management Institute Calendar, NTPC Scope Complex, New Delhi,17.
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17).41st Annual Report, NTPC Scope Complex, New Delhi, 149.
- NTPC Ltd. (2016-17).41st Annual Report (2016-17) NTPC Ltd. Scope Complex Delhi, 65.
- NTPC Ltd. (2016-17) .41stAnnual Report (2016-17) NTPC Ltd. Scope Complex Delhi, 48.
- NTPC Ltd. (2016-17).41st Annual Report (2016-17) NTPC Ltd. Scope Complex Delhi, 145.
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17).41st Annual Report NTPC Ltd., Power Management Institute Noida, -45-46.
- NTPC Ltd (2016-17).41st Annual Report NTPC Ltd., Power Management Institute Noida, 144.
- Tangthong, S.Trimetsoontor .J., Rojniruntikul, N. (2014). HRM Practices and Employee Retention in Thailand—A Literature Review,” International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance V 5, (2), 162-166.
- Zhang, J.Akhtar.N.M.,Bal, P.M., Zhang, Y ., Talat ,U. (2016).How Do High-Performance Work Systems Affect Individual Outcomes: A Multilevel Perspective: Frontiersin Pshychology, Publishedonline, 2018 Apr 24 doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00586.