Asian Journal of Engineering and Applied Technology (AJEAT)
Key Factors for Online Branding Success in India: An ISM ApproachAuthor : Mandeep Kaur
Volume 9 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 42-50
In today’s digital age it is essential to analyse the factors that influence the success of online branding. Pure play e-tailer, Brick and mortar, click and mortar companies are required to follow online branding strategy. As online branding is the need of the hour companies are moving on the track where the ultimate destination is to adopt online branding as the strategy to stay ahead. Online branding is moving at the pace of the light. To keep up, companies need a robust foundation with the judgment to think precariously about the critical success factors for online branding. The purpose of the paper is to identify factors that influence the success of online branding, interrelationship among those factors and categories them in line with its driving and dependence power. These factors will help to prepare the model for companies who are planning to go for online branding strategy. Interpretative Structural Modelling approach is used to construct this model. The result found that both online factors and offline factors influence the success of online branding. Future research may endeavour to statistically validate the proposed model and may also expand the model by suggesting other factors that are influencing the success of online branding. Little research has investigated the interrelationship among factors which are affecting the success of online branding and thereby inducing companies to go for online branding. In addition the present paper contributed insights developed from the model that would help companies in taking decision related to online branding.
Online Branding, Interpretative structural modeling, Critical Success factors.
- A.Aaker,“The value of brand equity,”Journal of business strategy, Vol.13, No.4, pp.27-32, 1992.
- L.Ailawadi, D.R.Lehmann and S.A. Neslin, “Revenue premium as an outcome measure of brand equity,” Journal of Marketing, Vol.67, No.4, pp.1-17, 2003.
- American Marketing Association, “Marketing definitions: A glossary of marketing terms,” 1960.
- Broussard, “How advertising frequency can work to build online advertising effectiveness,”International Journal of Market Research, Vol.42, No.4, pp.439-458, 2000.
- A. Churchill Jr and C. Surprenant, “An investigation into the determinants of customer satisfaction,” Journal of marketing research, pp.491-504, 1982.
- C. Clauser,“ Offline rules, online tools,”The Journal of Brand Management, Vol.8, No.4, pp.270-287,2001.
- De.Chernatony, “Creating powerful brands,” Routledge, 2010.
- Doyle, Marketing Management and Strategy, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, Harlow, 1990.
- Duan, B.Gu, and A.B.Whinston, “Do online reviews matter?—An empirical investigation of panel data,” Decision support systems,Vol.45,No.4, pp.1007-1016,2008.
- Drèze, and F.X.Hussherr, “Internet advertising: Is anybody watching?,” Journal of interactive marketing, Vol.17,No.4, pp.8-23.2003.
- Dubberly, “A model of brand,”Gain: AIGA Journal of Design for the Network Economy, Vol.1, No.1, 2000.
- Edwards and D. Day, “Creating passion brands: How to build emotional brand connection with customers,” Kogan Page Publishers.2007.
- Eid, R.Y. Al Sharief and L.Hussein, “Factors Affecting the Success of Online Branding: An Empirical Study,”Transdisciplinary Marketing Concepts and Emergent Methods for Virtual Environments, p.250,2012.
- Erdem and J. Swait, “Brand equity as a signaling phenomenon, ”Journal of consumer Psychology,No.7,No.2, pp.131-157,1998.
- Gehrke and E.Turban, “Determinants of successful website design: relative importance and recommendations for effectiveness,” InSystems Sciences, 1999. HICSS-32. Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Hawaii International Conference on (pp. 8-pp), 1999, January, IEEE.
- Gommans, K.S. Krishnan and K.B. Scheffold, “From brand loyalty to e-loyalty: A conceptual framework,”Journal of Economic and Social research,Vol.3, No.1, pp.43-58,2001.
- Hagel and A. Armstrong, “Net gain: Expanding markets through virtual communities,” Harvard Business Press.1997.
- L.Hoffman, T.P.Novak and M.Peralta, “Building consumer trust online,”Communications of the ACM, Vol.42, No.4, pp.80-85, 1999.
- Jean Harrison-Walker, “E-complaining: A content analysis of an Internet complaint forum,”Journal of Services Marketing, No.15,No.5, pp.397-412.2001.
- Jurvetson, What exactly is viral marketing?Red Herring, Vol.78, pp.110-112, 2000.
- J.Kent and C.T.Allen, “Competitive interference effects in consumer memory for advertising: the role of brand familiarity,”The Journal of Marketing, pp.97-105, 1994.
- Kierzkowski, S.Mcquade, R.Waitman and M.Zeisser, “Current research: marketing to the digital consumer,”The mckinsey quarterly, No.2, pp.180-183, 1996.
- Kotler and W.Pfoertsch, “Ingredient branding: making the invisible visible,” Springer Science & Business Media, 2010.
- K.Lee and E.Turban, “A trust model for consumer internet shopping,”International Journal of electronic commerce, Vol.6, No.1, pp.75-91.2001.
- Leskovec, L.A.Adamic and B.A.Huberman, “The dynamics of viral marketing,”ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), Vol. 1, No.1, p.5, 2007.
- Leuthesser, “Defining, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity: A Conference Summary by,” Marketing Science Institute, 1988.
- Levine, M., (2003)A branded world: Adventures in public relations and the creation of superbrands. John Wiley & Sons.
- Mazzarol, J.C.Sweeney and G.N.Soutar, “Conceptualizing word-of-mouth activity, triggers and conditions: an exploratory study,”European Journal of Marketing, Vol.41,No.11/12, pp.1475-1494, 2007.
- M.Muniz Jr and T.C. O’guinn, “Brand community,”Journal of consumer research, Vol.27,No.4, pp.412-432,2001.
- L.Oliver, “A cognitive model of the antecedents and consequences of satisfaction decisions,”Journal of marketing research, pp.460-469.1980.
- L.Oliver, R.T.Rust and S.Varki, “Customer delight: foundations, findings, and managerial insight,”Journal of retailing, Vol.73, No.3, pp.311-336.1997.
- F Reichheld and P. Schefter, “E-loyalty”Harvard business review, Vol.78, No.4, pp.105-113, 2000.
- B.Rotter, “Generalized expectancies for interpersonal trust,” American psychologist,Vol.26, No.5, p.443, 1971.
- Rubinstein and C. Griffiths, “Branding matters more on the internet,” The Journal of Brand Management,Vol.8, No.6, pp.394-404, 2001.
- E.Schultz and S.E.Bailey, “Customer/brand loyalty in an interactive marketplace,”Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.40, No.3, pp.41-52, 2000.
- J.Simmons, “i-Branding”: developing the internet as a branding tool,”Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol.25, No.6, pp.544-562, 2007.
- Wang, P.Zhang, R. Choi and M. D’Eredita, “Understanding consumers’ attitude toward advertising,”AMCIS 2002 Proceedings, p.158, 2002.
- Zhang and G.M.Von Dran, “Satisfiers and dissatisfiers: A two‐factor model for website design and evaluation,”Journal of the American society for information science, Vol.51, No.14, pp.1253-1268,2000.
- Agarwal, R.Shankar and M.K.Tiwari, “Modeling agility of supply chain,”Industrial marketing management, Vol.36, No.4, pp.443-457.2007.