Asian Review of Social Sciences (ARSS)
Reflections of Gender Budget Initiatives in the Budgetary Allocations of Developed State in India: KeralaAuthor : P.U. Nishanthi
Volume 9 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 48-54
In this article tried to examine the changes made by gender budget initiative in the budgetary allocations of Kerala in terms of Women Specific Schemes (WSS). Deliberations made by the Govt. for mainstreaming budget by gender concerns are successful in terms of number of schemes and programmes and diversified programmes. Every year an increase in budgetary allocations could be seen but that increase is only in absolute terms. Percentage share of allocation towards the WSS are always oscillated under one percent. Govt. should go for gender budget initiatives by increasing percentage share of budgetary allocations. Govt. hadn’t gone for exploiting the potential of gender budgeting. A stronger commitment from the Govt. is needed.
Budgetary allocation, Gender budgeting, Gender equality, Women specific schemes, Women’s welfare.
- Council of Europe, (2005). Gender Budgeting, Directorate of Human Rights, Strasbourg, France.
- Finance Department, (1958-2019).Budget Documents, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum.
- Finance Department, (2017-20). Gender &Child Budget, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum.
- Finance Department, (2010-11). Budget Speech, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum.
- Finance Department, (2016-17).Budget Speech, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum.
- Kerala State Planning Board, (2012). Gender Equality in Kerala: A Quick Study Report, Ernakulum Division, Government of Kerala,
- Planning &Economic Affairs Department, (2012). Plan Documents, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum.