School Library Services for Educational Rebirth: The Case of Lumen Christi International High School, Uromi, Edo State, NigeriaAuthor : Aiyebelehin, James Afebuameh and Iboi, Catherine (CLN)
Volume 10 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 36-39
The paper explores the roles of school libraries in the rebirth of Nigerian Education system with particular focus on Edo state. The strategies employed at Lumen Christi International High School were carefully examined. The paper employed the document analysis and exploratory approach to gather facts for making conclusions. Very prominent among facts gathered from literature were that: there is a decay in the Nigerian Education system; and that school libraries have crucial roles to play in the rebirth of the education system. The paper concluded that for there to be meaningful development in the education system, the school library must be positioned to contribute to the process, and the school librarian must devise strategies to effect a change in the orientation of the students in the primary and secondary schools.
Education, School Libraries, Education-Nigeria, Lumen Christi International High School
- Abdullahi, S. & Abubakar, B. A. (2015). Assessment of school library resources: A case study of school of health technology library. Ningi, Bauchi State. International Journal of Library and Information Science. 7 (5), 103 – 108. Retrieved from http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/IJLIS/article-full-text/0469C8353529
- Babalola, A. (2016). Dwindling education in Nigeria. www.abuad.edu.ng
- Federal Republic of Nigeria (2013). National Policy on Education. 6thRetrievedfromhttps://educatetolead.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/national-education-policy-2013.pdf
- IFLA (2015). IFLA school library guidelines. 2nd Retrieved from https://www.ifla.org/files/assets/school-libraries-resource-centers/publications/ifla-school-library-guidelines.pdf
- IFLA (2015). Toolkit: Libraries and implementation of the UN 2030 Agenda. “IFLA Action for Development through Libraries programme”, Oct. 2015. Available at www.Ifla.org
- IFLA/UNESCO (1999). IFLA/UNESCO School Library Manifesto 1999. Retrieved from https://www.ifla.org/publications/iflaunesco-school-library-manifesto-1999
- Imode, E. (2017). Edo state government unveils plan to revamp basic education system. edostate.gov.ng
- Librarians Registration Council of Nigeria (2011). School Library Manual. Abuja: Pius S. Print graphics.
- Kadir, N. (2012). What is a reference service? Retrieved from https://referencephsusm.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/why-do-we-need-reference-services/
- Nwalo, K. I. (2006). Fundamentals of library practice: A manual on library routines. Ibadan: Stirling-Horden(Nig) Publishers.
- Odia, L.O. & Omofonmwan, S.I. (2007). Educational system in Nigeria: problems and prospects. Journal of social sciences, 14 (1), 81- 86. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org
- Unagha, A. O. (2008). Implementing universal basic education (UBE) through strategic provision of school library services. Library Philosophy and Practice, (e-journal).1-6. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac.