Theoretical Study on Methods to Increase the Efficiency and Performance of Solar Air HeaterAuthor : Vishwas Nagrath, Seyed Hunzela Haq, Harshit Mishra, and Adil Wazeer
Volume 9 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 1-4
Due to the low thermal performance of solar air heater, different methodologies are adopted to increase its performance namely fins, artificial roughness etc. Thermal performance is obtained for different values of Reynolds number, emissivity of a plate, tilt angle and by employing different kinds of artificial roughness. There are numerous techniques which can be used on the absorber plate to increase the efficiency and Thermo-hydraulic performance of the solar air heater. We can use single roughness geometry or can combine two different roughness geometries also to get best output. By defining different correlations of heat transfer and friction factor in roughened ducts of solar air heater, we can get the best artificial roughness that can be utilized in the solar air heater. By selecting the coating material, we can improve the performance of solar air heater. As we must use our energy for future purpose, we have to store it and for that thermal energy storage materials are used. This is also one of the techniques to increase the effectiveness of solar air heater. In this article, focus has been given on study of methods of increasing the performance of solar air heater such as providing artificial roughness, increasing the collector aspect ratio etc.
Thermal Performance, Solar Air Heater, Artificial Roughness, Efficiency, Solar Energy
- Donggen Peng, Xiaosong Zhang, Hua Dong, Kun Lv. “Performance study of a novel solar air collector”. Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 30, pp.2594-2601, 2010.
- A. Karim, E. Perez, Z.M. Amin. “Mathematical modelling of counter flow v-groove solar air collector”. Renew Energy, Vol. 67, pp.192–201, 2014.
- Abhishek Saxenaand Varun Goel. “Solar Air Heaters with Thermal Heat Storages”. Chinese Journal of Engineering, pp.1-11, 2013.
- Ciril Arkar, Tomaž Šuklje, Boris Vidrih, Sašo Medved. “Performance analysis of a solar air heating system with latent heat storage in a lightweight building”. Applied Thermal Engineering, 95, pp.281–287, 2016.
- Md Azharul Karim, M.N.A. Hawlader. “Performance evaluation of a v-groove solar air collector for drying applications”. Applied Thermal Engineering, 26, pp.121–130, 2006.
- Sreekumar. “Techno-economic analysis of a roof-integrated solar air heating system for drying fruit and vegetables”. Energy Convers Manag Vol.51, pp.2230–2238, 2010.
- S. Abdullaha, b, Y.A.F. El-Samadonyb, Z.M. Omarac. “Performance evaluation of plastic solar air heater with different cross-sectional configuration”. Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 121, pp.218–223.doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.04.0, 2017.
- The Energy Report, “Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts”, May, 2008.
- “Guide for preparing active solar heating systems operation and maintenance manuals”, ASHRAE, 1990.
- Sopian K, Yigit K S, Liu HT, Kakaç S, Veziroglu TN. “Performance analysis of Photovoltaic thermal air heaters”. Energy Convers Manage; Vol.37, pp.1657–70, 1996.
- Hughes PJ, Duffie JA, Beckman WA. “Simulation study of several solar heating systems with off-peak auxiliary”. Sol Energy; Vol.19, pp. 317–9, 1997.
- Anil Kumar, R.P. Saini, J.S. Saini. “A review of thermo hydraulic performance of artificially roughened solar air heaters”. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 37, pp.100–122, 2014.
- Grenard Ph, Quintilla-Larroya V, Laroche E. “Numerical study of heat transfer on a dimpled surface with CEDRE’ code, In: second European conference for aerospace sciences; May 2007.
- Saha Arun K, Acharya Sumantha. “Turbulent heat transfer in ribbed coolant passages of different aspect ratios: parametric effects”. J Heat Transfer April; Vol.129, pp.449–63, 2007.
- Ozceyhan Veysel, Gunes Sibel, Buyukalaca Orhan, Altuntop Necdet. “Heat transfer enhancement in tube using circular cross-sectional rings separated from wall”. Applied Energy; Vol.85, pp.988–1001, 2008.
- Ooi A, Iaccarino G, Durbin PA, Behnia M. “Reynolds averaged simulation of flow and heat transfer in ribbed ducts”. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow; Vol.23, pp.750–7, 2002.
- Craft TJ, Iacovides H, Mostafa NA. “Modelling of three-dimensional jet array impingement and heat transfer on a concave surface”. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow; Vol.29, pp.687–702, 2008.
- Iaccarino G, Ooi A, Durbin PA, Behnia M. “Conjugate heat transfer predictions in two dimensional ribbed passages”. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow; Vol. 23, pp.340–5 2002.
- Iacovides H, Kelemenis G, Raisee M. “Flow and heat transfer in straight cooling passages with inclined rinds on opposite walls: an experimental and computational study”. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science; Vol.27, pp. 283–94, 2003.
- Chaube Alok, Sahoo PK, Solanki SC. “Analysis of heat transfer augmentation and flow characteristics due to rib roughness over absorber plate of a solar air heater”. Renewable Energy; Vol.31, pp.317–31, 2006.
- Yeh, H. M. and Chou, W. H., Energy—the International Journal, Vol.16, pp.983, 1991.
- Yeh, H. M., Energy—The International Journal, Vol.17, pp.697, 1992.
- Yeh, H. M. and Lin, T. T., Energy — The International Journal, Vol.20, pp.1041, 1995.
- Ho-Ming Yeh, Chii-Dong Ho and Chi-Yen Lin. “The Influence of Collector Aspect Ratio on the Collector Efficiency of Baffled Solar Air Heaters”. Energy, Vol.23, No. 1, pp.11-16.
- R.I. Ramadan, A.A. El-Sebaii, S. Aboul-Enein, E. El-Bialy. “Thermal performance of a packed bed double-pass solar air heater”. Energy, Vol.32, pp. 1524–1535, 2007.
- Sharma VK, Sharma S, Mahajan RB, Garg HP. “Evaluation of a matrix solar air heater”. Energy Convers, Manage, Vol. 30, pp.1–8, 1990.
- Sharma VK, Rizzi G, Garg HP. “Design and development of a matrix type solar air heater”. Energy Convers. Manage , Vol. 31, pp.379–88, 1991.
- Choudhury C, Garg HP. “Performance of air-heating collectors with packed air flow passage”. Sol Energy; Vol.50,pp.205–21, 1993.
- Hamdan MA. “Investigation of an inexpensive solar collector storage systems”. Energy Convers. Manage; Vol. 39, pp.415–20, 1998.
- Liu T, Lin W, Gao W, Luo C, Li M, Zheng Q, et al.” Parametric study on thermal performance of a solar air collector with a V-groove absorber”. International Journal of Green Energy; Vol. 4, pp. 601–22, 2007.
- Liu T, Lin W, Gao W, Xia C. “Comparative study of the thermal performance of cross-corrugated and v-groove solar air collectors”. International Journal of Green Energy; Vol. 4, pp. 427–51, 2007.
- Elsayed MA, Fathi KA, Megahid IE. “Mathematical models for solar-thermal systems”. Jeddah: Center of Scientific Publishing, King Abdul Aziz University, Saudi Arabia; [In Arabic], 1994.
- O. G. Lof and R. A. Tybout, “Cost of house heating with solar ¨ energy,” Solar Energy, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 253–278, 1973.
- K. Roy and H. Liu, “Solar heating in Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering”, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- Tanaka, T. Tani, S. Sawata, K. Sakuta, and T. Horigome, “Fundamental studies on heat storage of solar energy,” Solar Energy, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 415–419, 1977.
- Dincer and S. Dost, “A perspective on thermal energy storage systems for solar energy applications,” International Journal of Energy Research, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 547–557, 1996.
- K. Huang, M. Toksoy, and Y. A. Cengel, “Transient response of latent heat storage in greenhouse solar system,” Solar Energy, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 279–292, 1986.