Usability and Performance Analysis of E-Commerce WebsitesAuthor : DaljitKaur and Harpreet Kaur
Volume 9 No.1 January-June 2020 pp 1-7
Online business or trade has become the buzz word in today’s Internet dominant era. The concept of using e-commerce sites for shopping the daily items and other goods have become also popular in the developing countries like India. The experience of users and study of their behaviour on e-commerce websites helps in determining the usability of these websites, which is acknowledged as a key factor for assessing the quality of any website. These quality measures along with performance measures are collected and compared for 28 e-commerce websites using two different approaches. The relative priority and preferences of the features and ease are investigated through a survey in this paper. Further, using GTmetrix-an online tool, speed tests and other parameters are garnered to analyze their performance. This research work is carried out with the objective to compare and analyze the performance of popular e-commerce websites and also to study its relationship with user preferences and behavior on these websites which can further guide the website developers and entrepreneurs in improving the performance and satisfying the customers.
e-commerce, GTmetrix, performance, performance evaluation and usability
- Bartuskova and O. Krejcar. “Loading Speed of Modern Websites and Reliability of Online Speed Test Services”, 7th International Conference- ICCCI 2015, Madrid, Spain, Proceedings, pp.65-74, September 21-23, 2015, DOI.10.1007/978-3-319-24306-1_7.
- Gehrkeand E.Turban. “Determinants of successful web site design: Relative Importance and recommendations for effectiveness”. IEEE Proceedings of the 31st Hawaii International Conference on Information Systems, 1999.
- Web Usability accessed from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_usabilityon 10 April 2020.
- Auger. “The Impact of Interactivity and Design Sophistication on the Per-formance of Commercial Websites for Small Businesses,” Journal of Small Business Management, Vol .43, No. 2, pp. 119-37, 2005.
- Welling and L. White.”Website Performance Measurement: Promise and Reality,” Managing Service Quality, Vol.16, No.6, pp. 654-70, 2006.
- Venkates hand R. Agarwal.“Turning Visitors Into Consumers: A Usability-Centric Perspective Purchase Behavior in Electronic Channels”, Management Science, Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 367-382, 2006.
- Fangyuand L. Yefei. “Usability evaluation of e-commerce on B2C websites in China”, Procedia Engineering, 15 Elsevier, pp. 5299-5304, 2011.Accessed fromwww.sciencedirect.com.
- A., Majid, M.Hashim and N.A.A. Jaabar. “An Evaluation on the Usability of E-Commerce Website Using Think Aloud New Perspectives in Information Systems and Technologies”, New Perspectives in Information Systems and Technologies, Vol. 2. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol.276.Springer, Cham, pp. 289-296, 2014.
- A. Bhat, K. Kansana, and J.Majid. “A Review Paper on E-Commerce”, Asian Journal of Technology & Management Research.Vol. 6 and No. 1, pp.16-21, 2016.
- G. Khan, “Electronic Commerce: A Study on Benefits and Challenges in an Emerging Economy”, Global Journal of Management and Business Research, Vol. 6, No. 1, Global Journals Inc. (USA), 2016.
- Retailer Website Performance Report 2019, “Are Retail websites meeting Shopper expectations”. Accessed from https://www.yottaa.com/resources/2019-rsr-report/ in April 2020.
- GT Metrix Tool downloaded from www.gtmetrix.com and accessed in March 2020.